Updated: Mar 13
A great culture isn't just about finishing early on a Friday, free fruit in the office, or work drinks…
This is our ‘culture checklist’, gathered over 11 years in the Recruitment industry - this is what we think people care about.
Employers, give yourself a score /5 for each subheading.
Employees, score your employer /5 for each subheading.
➡️ Working with people you like
- Friendly employees who help each other to succeed
- Open and honest communication between employees/managers
- Managers who respect, and actively listen to their team
- Employees are given autonomy and trust to get their work done
- Employees and Managers take responsibility and accountability for work that needs to be delivered
- Flexibility; employees have some say in terms of where/when they work
- Employees get a fair salary for the value they deliver
- Employees are recognised and given credit for their contribution
➡️ Career Progression
- Employees are challenged in their role and learn new skills
- Company invests in training / education for employees
➡️ Mission/Purpose driven
- There is a clear strategy, which demonstrates how the company stands out from its competitors
- The company strives to make its customers or clients lives easier/better
- The environment may be part of the company purpose
- The company is growing / or progressing towards its mission
- The industry is growing ideally
- Clear boundaries (limited contact outside work hours)
- A clear Equality strategy
✅ For employers this list might help you to consider how to build a stronger culture, leading to greater retention.
It may also help you to realise the strength of your culture, which is vital when advertising yourselves whilst Recruiting
✅ For candidates, this list might help you consider if your current employer is the best place for your career right now.
Do you agree with our list?
Other blogs for Employers: